How would I do an inplace upgrade?

-----Original Message-----
From: Johan De Meersman <vegiv...@tuxera.be>
To: Machiel Richards <machi...@rdc.co.za>
Subject: Re: Upgrading of mysql database
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 15:25:44 +0100

That would work, yes.

You could also try to upgrade in place - the upgrade scripts *should*
take care of everything between those versions, I think. Make sure you
have a backup in any case :-)

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Machiel Richards <machi...@rdc.co.za>
wrote:

        Hi All

               Sorry for all my posts today but this one client is
        keeping me
        busy.

               the version of MySQL installed on the ubuntu server is
        5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.8-log as this was the latest one available in
        the
        repository.

               We will need to upgrade this to version 5.1.53.

                Am I correct in assuming the following steps?

                       1. setup version 5.1.53 on the machine (different
        port)
                       2. shutdown the current database.
                       3. create backup file
                       4. restore backup
                       5. change port to 3306
                       6. startup new database.
                       7. disable the old database so that it would not
        start
        up during reboot.

        Regards
        Machiel