Seen this a lot with poorly written web apps which open connections but dont
close them when finished. Try setting wait_timeout and/or
interactive_timeout to close unused connections.

John

--
John Daisley

Certified MySQL 5 Database Administrator
Certified MySQL 5 Developer
Cognos BI Developer

Telephone: +44 (0)7918 621621
Email: john.dais...@butterflysystems.co.uk