I'm running mysql-5.1.51 which is the latest marked stable in Gentoo.
Does this still apply?

No, just 5.5.7.

PB

-----

On 11/28/2010 2:28 PM, Grant wrote:
I'm trying to run mysql_upgrade but I get:

# mysql_upgrade
Looking for 'mysql' as: mysql
Looking for 'mysqlcheck' as: mysqlcheck
Running 'mysqlcheck' with connection arguments: '--port=3306'
'--socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'
mysqlcheck: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'
(using password: NO) when trying to connect
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

I've also tried specifying my root password with --password and also
specifying -u mysql but it still fails with error 1045.  My
/etc/passwd file looks like there is no password for user mysql.  What
else should I try?
Is this 5.5.7? You have to run the server with --skip-grant-tables, then run
mysql_upgrade.
I'm running mysql-5.1.51 which is the latest marked stable in Gentoo.
Does this still apply?  I always use Gentoo's mysql initscript so I'm
trying to find the correct command to start mysqld wtih
--skip-grant-tables.

- Grant