On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Dinkler, Fred wrote:

> Unclear as to your intent, e.g. what does 'replace" mean?
> This SQL will display the id and hotel name for those hotels in the travel
> table.

Ok, the hotel table holds the hotel names and the travel.nome_hotel also
hold the table name (why? becuase the client need it that time).  Now I
create the hotel table and dumped all the hotel names from the travel
table to the hotel table.  Now that is done I need to remove the the hotel
names from the travel.nome_hotel and give them the corresponding id from
the hotel table.  I was thinking something like this

update travel set nome_hotel=hotel.id where
hotel.hotelname=travel.nome_hotel.

It does not work.  What would be the corret way?

> SELECT t.id, h.hotelname from travel t, hotel h where t.nome_hotel =
> h.hotelname;

This will just display the rows.  I need to update the travel table with
the id of hotel table based on the hotel names being the same.

TIA

Adrian