I would assume that it's slower because it gets put on the delay thread
anyway, and thus executes only whenever that thread gets some attention. I'm
not sure wether there are other influencing factors.

I should also think that "not in use" in this context means "not locked
against inserts", so the MyISAM insert-while-selecting at the end of a
continguous table may well apply.

No guarantees, though - I'm not that hot on this depth.