[JS] I don't think so, but perhaps I misunderstood the source of the error
message.

mysql> show databases ;
ERROR 1018 (HY000): Can't read dir of '.' (errno: 13)

Are you saying that the mysql CLI needs to read some directory ('.', in this
case) in order to send mysqld a simple query like SHOW DATABASES? I would hope
it doesn't need a temporary file for that.

Who is issuing the errno 13, the client or the daemon?

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated
195 Farmington Ave.