I should have read more carefully..  I apologize for my snap response.

At a guess: as I recall, under M$ SQLServer the typical (only?) form
of unique identifier used is something very UUID-like.  MY information
might be dated.  I was certified as a SQL Server administrator perhaps
12 years agoI would not be terribly surprised to learn that was their
motivation.  I recall, many years ago, having this same, largely
theoretical concern regarding MD5 hashes.  Since then experience has
taught me that my worries were unfounded.  UUID() should be very safe,
even for very large datasets.

 - michael dykman

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Anthony Pace <anthony.p...@utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Although I did berate you for your obvious cheek, I will of course
> complement the acuteness of your response.
>
> On 1/20/2011 2:10 PM, Anthony Pace wrote:
>>
>> Dude, come on.  I know that all primary keys have to be unique; however, I
>> was obviously referring to the use of uuid over auto incrementation.
>>
>> On 1/20/2011 1:36 PM, Michael Dykman wrote:
>>>
>>> It is axiomatic in the relational model that a primary must be unique.
>>>  This is not a quirk put forth by your current employer.  Neither
>>> MySQL nor any other RDBMS will allow you to establish a primary key
>>> that is not unique.
>>>
>>>  - michael dykman

> --

 - michael dykman