I think an ON INSERT TRIGGER would take care of this; can't think of
any other way.  Using last_insert_id() in the argument list would
likely yield you the previous value (which might not even related to
your table.

Having siad that..   odd requirement.

  - michael dykman

ps  -- sorry for the duplicate Jerry, reply-to policy on this list is
forever tripping me up.

--
 - michael dykman
 - mdyk...@gmail.com