Hi all, trying to do something and have it be as efficient as possilble.  My
question is if I have a table with say 10,000 rows in it, and I issue
a command like this

select * from table where number=1 order by rand() limit 1;

If 1000 rows would match this command does mysql first find all 1000 rows
and THEN randomly select 1 of those to return, OR does it just randomly
start somewhere and then stop when it finds one?  The first method would
be really slow and inefficient, but I am afraid that is how it works?  Is
there anyone out there that knows FOR SURE how the order by rand() operation
works?  I can't find a specification out there for it.

Thanks,
Matt Heaton