On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Gavin Towey <gto...@ffn.com> wrote:

> If you show the EXPLAIN SELECT .. output, and the table structure, someone
> will be able to give a more definite answer.

Thanks for the reply Gavin. I actually did place this info in my very first
message on this thread, along with my basic table structure and server
version. Myself and others have just stopped keeping the full,
deeply-nested, quoted thread inside all subsequent messages which is why you
probably haven't seen it.

However, here is the EXPLAIN SELECT from the first message (reformatted for
email):

select_type: SIMPLE
table: recipients
type: ref
possible_keys: messages_fk, employee_idx
key: employee_idx
key_len: 5
ref: const
rows: 222640
Extra: Using where; Using temporary; Using filesort

select_type: SIMPLE
table: messages
type: eq_ref
possible_keys: PRIMARY
key: PRIMARY
key_len: 4
ref: email_archive.recipients.message_id
rows: 1
Extra:

Anyhow, having now copied these tables to another server (MySQL 5.1) and
done some tests (bumping up innodb_buffer_pool_size and playing with
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit for my writes and a few other knobs) it is
simply that these somewhat large tables need lots of RAM to perform well,
just as Reindl Harald originally pointed out.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

--
Kendall Gifford
zettab...@gmail.com