Besides the above,
I recall Flickr (you know the photo-sharing site)  being able to extract
(kind of rough) polygons from exif-data of photos (containing lat/longs) .
Since often these photo's are tagged by city they could extract city
boundaries.

See this old posts I dug up quickly, I'm not sure if development is still
active, etc.
http://code.flickr.com/blog/2008/10/30/the-shape-of-alpha/
http://biodivertido.blogspot.com/2008/11/flickr-creating-polygons-out-of-points.html

hth,