Could not find a bug report form.  So I am telling y'll...

Platform:  FreeBSD 4.3 (I do not think it matters)

After creating a new database, I ran:

update user set password = 'SomeJunk' where user = 'root';

This inserts the string 'SomeJunk' literally into the database,
unencrypted.  This is SQL expected but the result is a database
lockout (not to mention the security breach of having the clear
password stored in a file.

I got the smart idea to assign a root password like this from the
Bugzilla-Guide.txt file that comes with Bugzilla.

If there is a better way to assign passwords, please let me know.

I tried

grant all on mysql.* to foo identified by bar;

Seems to work for creating new accounts.

Also, the user table looks like:

mysql> select host, user, password from user;
+-----------+---------+------------------+
 | host       | user     | password         |
+-----------+---------+------------------+
| localhost | root    | 7d30d6e5796d165e |
| nomis     | root    | 7d30d6e5796d165e |
| localhost |         |                  |
| nomis     |         |                  |
| localhost | ShimonR | 7d30d6e5796d165e |
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Does this mean that any user from localhost or from nomis can connect?

Otherwise, this is really nice (my first first hand encounter with mysql).

--

Sincerely Yours,                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                             770.265.0958

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth