Thanks, Luciano. First, I should say that the problem
seems to be solved by carefully eliminating all traces of
the original, failed installation, then restarting the entire
install/config process.
This time I avoided the TCP/IP setup, which was not
needed because the current system is for stand-alone use.
for the same reason, I also left out the security setup.

After the config process, I used the netstat -nab cmd,
with and without directing to findstr, and found no
mention of port 3306.  I can only guess that the earlier
problem--"other" progs using 3306--was caused by a
residue of the original, failed config attempt.

NOTE:  Now, however, I find I've managed somehow to
config a version that leaves me without admin status, and
"@localhost" has few priveleges.  Any suggestions?
thanks...~jess

Jess,
I could run the following command to figure out what
process is using
the 3306 tcp port :
netstat -nab | findstr 3306
The last colun of the output should be the pid of the
process listeninning on port 3306.
Best Regards.
Luciano

On 11-03-11 18:43, jo01_j...@olypen.com wrote:
> Adobe's Photoshop and Bridge also reside on my WinXP
> machine.  Could they be the cause of failure to config?
> During the config process I see a msg that "other" progs
> are using port 3306.  Then the config stops--announcing
> that mysqld has a problem.  Details are:
> szAppName : mysqld.exe     szAppVer : 5.5.9.0
> szModName : mysqld.exe szModVer : 5.5.9.0     offset :
> 0023d898
>
> After countless attempts to install/config, I did notice
> during the config process just now that the default name
> was MySQL, and I've always let it stand.
>
> I've tried all the tricks that could be found in the forums:
> removing old mysql progs in the Control Panel, deleting
> old server files, running sc delete mysql (or mysqld) and
> even going into regedit to kill the mysql references there--
> although it made me nervous, in view of those other
> mysql-using progs.
>
> I'd be grateful for some advice...~jess
>

> ~jess

com