I'm afraid I'm not authoritative on this, but it seems to me that it would be
very very bad if the third, unused expression were to be evaluated - not only
from a performance point of view, but who is to say that that expression is not
a user-defined function that modifies the database ?
<<<<<<<<
Yes, but Access s "IIF", of the same use, evaluates all three, and the
documentation explicitly says so. MySQL s, that I have seen, says neither.
Assuming the worst is safer, and then one uses CASE ..., but if not, ....