My situation is sounds rather simple. All I am doing is matching a spreadsheet
of products against our database. My job is to find any matches against
existing products and determine which ones are new, which ones are
replacements for older products, and which ones just need to have the
publication date (and page count, price, whatever) refreshed.

Publisher is no problem. What I have for each "feed" is a title and (most of
the time) an ISBN or other identification assigned by the publisher.

Matching by product ID is easy (assuming there aren't any mistakes in the
current or previous feeds); but the publisher might or might not change the
product ID when they update a report. That's why I also run a match by title,
and that's where all the trouble comes from.

The publisher might or might not include a mix of old and new products in a
feed. The publisher might change the title of an existing product, either on
purpose or by accident; they might simply be sloppy about their spelling; or
(and this is where it is critical) the title might include a reference to some
time period such as a year or a quarter.

I think we'd better pull the plug on this discussion. It doesn't seem like
there's a ready solution. Fortunately our database is small, and most feeds
are only a few hundred products.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated