>I would like to create a table with the top 25 Amt_Sold products for each day

Examples at "Top N per group" at http://www.artfulsoftware.com/queries.php

PB

-----

On 5/8/2011 12:21 PM, mos wrote:
I have a table (MyISAM) with summarized Sales data:

Table: ProdSales
Columns:
Sales_Date   Date,
Product_Code Char(10),
Amt_Sold  Double

There are approx 5,000 products sold each day and there are 3 years worth of data. I would like to create a table with the top 25 Amt_Sold products for each day

Example:

'2011-03-01', "ABC001", 30421.21
'2011-03-01', "ABC031", 30000.15
'2011-03-01', "ABC011", 23312.00
'2011-03-01', "ABC101", 22211.87
'2011-03-01', "DE0211", 21931.44
'2011-03-01', "AGC331", 20321.32
'2011-03-01', "DEF321", 20300.31
'2011-03-01', "KLC031", 20000.21
'2011-03-01', "MIU031", 19332.00
25th top Amt_Sold for 2011-03-11

'2011-03-02', "FER001", 40421.21
'2011-03-02', "DEC031", 40010.15
etc..

So the table would have 25 rows per date and there would be several years worth of data.

Now I can do this easy enough for one date. But is there an efficient way of doing this for each day of the year without resorting to executing the same SQL statement for each day?

TIA
Mike
(MySQL 5.5)