Johan,

Consider also the DNS TTL.

If you flush hosts in MySQL it'll ask again the OS to resolve a name , but
if that is still in the DNS cache it could return that 'old' value instead
of querying the newly updated NS.

I'm not sure thou, may be test by restarting the name server cache
deamon */etc/rc.d/init.d/nscd
restart *

Claudio

--