I know. Retarded right? Version 5.1.x and still what would seem the most basic
of tasks is still impossible.

Maybe Oracle can fix what MontyAB and Sun couldn't... that feature alone would
be well worth the $5.6 Billion dollars spent.

I just had a need to do this last week and was astonished to find it's still
not implemented after all these... well ever! I unfortunately had to dump the
database to a .sql file, edit said file, re-dump in, then dump in the new
database, then run a SQL diff tool to find out what schemata and data was
different. The whole process delayed me a few hours that I didn't budget for.
Talk about a hindrance.

-----

And before anyone gets all upset with my use of the word "Retarded"...
Read this: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/rename-database.html

And then the definition:

re•tard•ed

–verb (used with object)
1. to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process,
etc.); hinder or impede.

–verb (used without object)
2. to be delayed.