On Jun 7, 2011, at 10:43 PM, Johan De Meersman wrote:

> If that's all you did, you indeed 'removed the default NULL' but did not
> specify another default. Hence, if you don't explicitly specify a value in
> your insert statement, the insert can not happen as the server doesn't know
> what to put there and is explicitly disallowed from leaving the value empty.

        That makes sense.  So then why does phpMyAdmin allow you to choose
"None" as a default?

> Where did you find the advice about setting columns NOT NULL?

        I can't find them today, but I read on a couple of web sites that not
populating fields with NULL would make the tables more efficient.

        I have a shopping cart that has every field as type TEXT and I'm going
through it with a fine tooth comb trying to make it more efficient.

> You really shouldn't take everything you read on the internet as truth :-)

        NOW you tell me! =;)  I guess I learned my lesson the hard way.

Thanks again,
Marc