There's been no upgrade or old pre-upgrade on this machine. I say the same dev password for years, as it is the same password I've used on my dev machines throughout the years.

This machine started off as a fresh install of the OS several months ago. The only version of MySQL ever on this particular machine is 5.5.11. My confusion is mostly centered around the "it worked fine on Friday, then Saturday happened" issue. I've run a complete virus scan and found nothing, as well as several spyware/malware scans - it's in the process of running a scan from a rescue disc, so I'll know if there's anything else afterward.

Seems odd anyone would bother hacking into this dev machine that's barely connected to the Internet.

On 6/12/2011 8:59 AM, Johan De Meersman wrote:
If it's recently been upgraded or had an old pre-upgrade backup restored,
that's not a major surprise; and surely you won't have ben running mysql on a
win7 for several years :-)

In brief, mysql changed password encryptions between 4.1 and 5.0, for various
reasons. The old password scheme is still supported, but iird the default
setting for that in newer versions is off, yielding you the error you are
reporting.

Of course, if none of that is the case, you may have been hacked; but it seems
somehow strange that a hacker would bother to install oldstyle passwords.

The error message you provide also mentions the oldpasswd flag for PHP<  5.2 -
also worth looking at.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Thorburn"<webmas...@athydro.com>
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Sent: Sunday, 12 June, 2011 2:50:22 PM
Subject: MySQL loses password?

Hi all,

I came across something strange today on my dev machine and thought
I'd
see if anyone here has run into a similar problem.  To begin, my dev
machine is Win7 Ultimate 64-bit, running MySQL 5.5.11 (also 64-bit).
Today when I tried to log into the server using the old MySQL GUI
tools
as root, I got an error number 1045 Access denied for user
'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES).  This is odd because I've
not
changed the root password on my dev machine in years.  When I tried
goto a site on this same machine, Apache throws the following
message:

mysqlnd cannot connect to MySQL 4.1+ using the old insecure
authentication.  Please use an administration tool to reset your
password with the command SET PASSWORD =
PASSWORD('your_existing_password').  This will store a new, and more
secure, hash value in mysql.user.  If this user is used in other
scripts
executed by PHP 5.2 or earlier you might need to remove the
old-passwords flag from your my.cnf file

This is the first time I've seen such a message, or had MySQL
randomly
stop accepting my root password.  I'll likely be doing a complete
uninstall and reinstall in a few hours on this machine, but thought
I'd
ask here to see if anyone had any thoughts as to why this happened,
and
how I might correct it?  If at all possible, I'd prefer to not have
do an uninstall/reinstall as I wisely hadn't backed up a few tables I
was working on over the last couple days.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
-Tim