Hello ~ Thanks Andrew - it worked. It worked after  I commented it out on
my.cnf file.  Any idea what's the purpose of that statement. I inherited this
system.

Thanks all for quick response

[mysqld]
server-id=2
relay-log=naxbmisq04-relay-bin
set-variable=max_connect_error=100
max_allowed_packet=1048576000
thread_cache_size=16
max_connections=200
query_cache_type=1
query_cache_size=32768000
table_cache=800
max_heap_table_size=32768000
[mysqldump]
max_allowed_packet=1048576000
#datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
# Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
# clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
[mysqld_safe]
log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid