Hi,

I started with lasso 3.x  & FMP, jumped to lasso 8.5 with SQLlite (and loved
it), now need to work with MySQL and Laso 8.6 (on Mac mini with Snow Leopard
server 10.6.7 ). I am not a programmer but quite familiar with the traditional
encoding when using  lasso. Now the question:

I created the DB on MySQL 5.0x that came with the server and can access it
using ODBC and FMP for example ; no problems in creating records etc. BUT when
using the traditional code of Lasso [inline][/inline] to simply add a single
simple record it returned this:

(error code) 1064
(error message) HY000 [Actual][MySQL] You have an error in your SQL syntax;
check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right
syntax to use near '"DMPPRuser") VALUES ('MYNAME')' at line 1

The dead simple code I used is (mysql is on another machine):

[var:'Vuser'=(form_param:'somefield')]

[inline:
-Host=(Array:-Datasource='odbc', -Name='whatever', -Username='xxx',
-Password='yyy'),
-database='DBname', -table='DBtable', 'fieldname'=$Vuser, -add]

then I found this from Fletcher
(http://lasso.2283332.n4.nabble.com/What-s-wrong-with-my-sql-INSERT-syntax-td3107790.html
 ) [OK, that was back in 2006]:

{ ..... Or, you can use a traditional inline to do the same thing.  Lasso
handles the quoting and encoding for you.

[inline: -database='...', -table='events', -add, 'e_date'=$e_date,
'e_time'=$e_time, 'eventname'=$event_name, 'place'=$place, 'agenda'=$agenda,
'contact'=$contact, 'email'=$email, 'phone'=$phone, 'calendar'=$calendar,
'details'=$details]
[/inline]

....}

Now I checked with another lasso user but running Lasso version 8.1.0 and he is
using the same 'traditional' approach with no problems.  But I am using the
mysql that came with Snow Leopard Server 10.6.7 with Lasso 8.6  , it looks like
the MySQL is version 5.0x .

I need to keep it simple, and am looking for a plain traditional approach ...

Thanks