> From: Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
>
> do not use any random-functions of mysql even if they exists
> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=59253

Of course, it depends on the desired quality of randomness needed.

I'm using RAND() to select random quotations to put at the end of emails. I can
easily repeat the process by re-selecting the "Signature:" menu in Apple Mail.
Problem is, I often notice that doing so cycles through several similar
signatures in a decidedly non-random way!

(You can demo this by sending email to <qu...@bytesmiths.com>, with a search
term in the Subject: line.)

But of course, a nuclear plant is not going to melt down because of my
signature line.

So RAND() can be useful, but it is not really very random, and should be used
with caution. My guess is that it's using Knuth's linear congruential algorithm
that has well-known problems, but that unfortunately has been hidden deep in
system code libraries since "Fundamental Algorithms" was published in 1968.

World events tend to be driven by loose coalitions of economic, political, and
military interests, which function like guilds of species in an ecosystem.
These guilds generate patterns of events that meet the interests of these
coalitions, without there being any unity of purpose or clear plan. When
powerful players accept they are not all-powerful, they increase their
effectiveness, but are also able to deny and cover any responsibility for the
adverse outcomes of those actions. -- David Holmgren