I have both a theory question and a question on implementation of privileges. First theory. I have been using:

   grant all privileges on db-name.* to user@localhost
      identified by 'password';

Because I blunder about as root I never was impacted by 'file' being a global permission. As 'load infile' seems (to me) to be equivalant to 'insert' I do not see the reason for this. If its just a historical thing, so be it, but IMO it makes little sense that a user could create and/or delete a table but to import data he is required to convert a csv file to 'insert value' statements.

My implementation question is about specifying the user. Apparently the following are different:

   1) user@localhost
   2) 'user@localhost'
   3) 'user'@'localhost'

I have not tested all this, but I did grant file privileges to #1 but could not use them logging into with 'mysql -u doug@localhost sysadmin' ('doug' being setup without a password).

The question is which form should be used and why are they different as all are accepted without error and all add entries for the users and db tables.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
d...@safeport.com