Am 19.09.2011 03:00, schrieb Hank:
> I agree with Brandon's suggestions, I would just add when using numeric
> types in PHP statements where you have a variable replacement, for instance:
>
> $sql="INSERT into table VALUES ('$id','$val')";
>
> where $id is a numeric variable in PHP and a numeric field in the table,
> I'll include the $id in single quotes in the PHP statement, so even if the
> value of $id is null, alpha, or invalid (not numeric) it does not generate a
> mysql syntax error

what ugly style - if it is not numeric and you throw it to the database
you are one of the many with a sql-injection because if you are get
ivalid values until there you have done no sanitize before and do not here

$sql="INSERT into table VALUES (" . (int)$id . ",'" .
mysql_real_escape_string($val) . "')";
or using a abstraction-layer (simple self written class)
$sql="INSERT into table VALUES (" . (int)$id . ",'" . $db->escape_string($val)
. "')";

all other things in the context of hand-written queries are all the nice one we
read every
day in the news and should NOT recommended because the next beginner reading
this makes all
the mistakes again