LOCK TABLES...WRITE is very likely to reduce performance if you are using a transactional storage engine, such as InnoDB/XtraDB or PBXT. The reason is that only one connection is holding the write lock and no other concurrent operation may occur on the table.

LOCK TABLES is only really useful for non-transactional tables and maybe a few specialized operations where it has its advantages but for 99.9% of cases, it should not be used.

What does increase performance is the proper use of transactions with appropriate use of SELECT...FOR UPDATE and SELECT...LOCK IN SHARE MODE.

Regards,

Antony.