Okay, I've reviewed the online man page for date and time functions, and I've
played with several likely candidates, and I am still having trouble
subtracting two arbitrary Datetimes to get something that is useful. A simple
subtraction yields the least useful thing possible: a modulo-100 difference of
modulo-60 quantities. Other functions yield the proper answer, but not for a
quantity of time that rolls over midnight, etc.
<<<<<<<<
You mean timestamps that are less than a full day apart?

"TIMESTAMPDIFF(SECOND, ...)" does not work for you? There is also "TO_SECONDS".