It is, of course, generally considered more natural to make equality primary,
not inequality, but that symbol that MySQL uses for NULL-safe equality, <=>,
looks much more like inequality than equality. Furthermore, I find that in my
code I am far oftener interested in NULL-safe _in_equality than equality. If I
write
IF A = B THEN
then if one is NULL and the other not, and the code is such that never are both
NULL, well, for my purpose they are not equal: so good. But if I write
IF A <> B THEN
often I want it NULL-safe, for if one is NULL and the other not, I want that
true--and MySQL s symbol for NULL-safe equality looks just right for inequality.

*sigh*