Hi,

I just realized that the problem is that I also need to specify
charset for load data. Once the utf8 is specified for 'load data',
then the problem is solved. Please ignore my previous email. Thanks!

~/linux/test/mysql/mysql/LOAD_DATA/CHARACTER_SET$ cat main.sql
use test
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE test (
  name VARCHAR(255) character set utf8
);
LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE 'table.txt' INTO TABLE test CHARACTER SET utf8;
SELECT * FROM test;
~/linux/test/mysql/mysql/LOAD_DATA/CHARACTER_SET$ cat table.txt
βΒ
~/linux/test/mysql/mysql/LOAD_DATA/CHARACTER_SET$ cat main.sh
#!/usr/bin/env bash

mysql -t -hlocalhost -uxxx < main.sql

~/linux/test/mysql/mysql/LOAD_DATA/CHARACTER_SET$ ./main.sh
+------+
| name |
+------+
| βΒ   |