Fellow DBAs and MySQL Users

[apologies for eventual duplicates - I've posted this to
percona-discuss...@googlegroups.com also]

I've been hunting an issue with my database cluster for several months now
without much success. Maybe I'm overlooking something here.

I've been observing the database slowing down and lagging behind for thousands
of seconds (sometimes over the course of several days) even without any query
load besides replication itself.

I am running Percona MySQL 5.1.51 (InnoDB plug-in version 1.12) on Dell R710 (6
x 3.5 inch 15K RPM disks in RAID10; 24GB RAM; 2x Quad-core Intel processors)
running Debian Lenny. MySQL data, binary logs, relay logs, innodb log files are
on separated partitions from each other, on a RAID system separated from the
operating system disks.

Default Storage Engine is InnoDB, and the usual InnoDB memory structures are
stable and look healthy.

I have about 500 (read) queries per second on average, and about 10% of this as
writes on the master.

I've been observing something that looks like between 6 and 10 pending reads
per second uniformly on my cacti graphs.

The issue is characterized by the server suddenly slowing down writes without
any previous warning or change, and lagging behind for several thousand seconds
(triggering all sorts of alerts on my monitoring system). I don't observe extra
CPU activity, just a reduced disk access ratio (from about 5-6MB/s to 500KB/s)
and replication lagging. I could correlate it neither InnoDB hashing activity,
nor with long-running-queries, nor with background read/write thread activities.

I don't have any clues of what is causing this behavior, and I'm unable to
reproduce it under controlled conditions. I've observed the issue both on
severs with and without workload (apart from the usual replication load). I am
sure no changes were applied to the server or to the cluster.

I'm looking forward for suggestions and theories on the issue - all ideas are
welcome.
Thank you for your time and attention,
Kind regards,
--