Alex,

did you change any my.cnf parameters? Version .39 should
actually be a littel bit faster than .38.

What does Unix 'top' say? What are the CPU usage %?

The biggest change performance-wise in .39 is that
you can now specify the parameter

innodb_unix_file_flush_method

in my.cnf.

You could try the following values for it:

innodb_unix_file_flush_method=O_DSYNC

or

innodb_unix_file_flush_method=littlesync

Does it work fast now?

Regards,

Heikki