----- Original Message -----
> From: "Stdranwl" <stdra...@gmail.com>
>
> So then no use of setting 3G sort buffer in my.cnf untill system will
> take a rebot?
> I was in the impression that 10M will be used and it will be
> scratched to 3G whenever required as same is set globally?

No, you've got it the wrong way round. When a new client connects, it's session
variables are initialised from the global values. Thus, if your global value is
3G, new clients will get a session value of 3G.

If your appplication or the client subsequently decides to set the session
value to 10M, *then* it will be 10M.

Open a new terminal and make a new connection, then look at the session
variables. If they're still different from the global value, something is
setting them upon connect. Check for a .my.cnf file in your homedir, aliases or
wrapper scripts for the mysql client, etc.

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn