> From: Tim Dunphy <bluethu...@jokefire.com>
>
> ... this is just a test environment so getting rid of those users won't have
> any meaningful impact...

I think what Paul (who wrote a book on MySQL, by the way) was getting at was
that you risk what database folk call "referential integrity issues" if you
mess with *any* data without knowing where else it is used.

But this has a bigger impact than if you mess up referential integrity on your
own tables. It could be that MySQL is making certain assumptions -- such as a
`user` record WILL be available if referenced in some other privilege grant --
that will break things badly, making such tables (or functions, or procs, etc.)
unreachable. This could turn into a very confusing "learning opportunity" where
changing one thing has far-reaching unintended impact. Or it may not, if you
don't have other privileges defined, in which case you may have "learned" the
false assurance that you can get away with such a thing.

I've had the former "learning experience" -- that messing with privilege tables
directly resulted in strange behaviour that ended with me trashing the entire
thing and re-installing from scratch.

My rule-of-thumb: if MySQL gives you a facility for manipulating system-level
tables, just use it! :-)