>>>> 2012/01/30 15:06 +0800, James >>>>
I am involved in a project to migrate our entire database from Microsoft
SQL to MySQL.

I would appreciate the help if anyone could share what tools will you
recommend of converting SQL database to MySQL.
<<<<<<<<
If it is SQL server, maybe dumping in character form (CSV) will work, noting
that MySQL does not really support CSV: one can set all switches in "LOAD DATA"
to real CSV except for NULL. If there are NULLs in your data you have to ensure
that the word NULL, not quoted, appears between separators. (The natural
convention that nothing between separators is NULL and empty string is a pair
of quote-marks is not used.) On my machine there are the command-line programs
"bcp" and "sqlcmd".

There are also the table and view descriptions to be dumped; note that SQL
Server quotes identifiers with square brackets, but MySQL in ANSI mode with
double quotes, outside ANSI mode with the character that "a" follows (`). There
are also type-differences: for one, MySQL has no type smalldatetime. In SQL
Server type-names, too, are identifiers: [varchar], [smallint], [bit],
[smalldatetime], .... Setting QUOTED_IDENTIFIER OFF would help. To SQL SERVER
"NOT NULL" is a named constraint, but to MySQL not. It goes on.

I do not know ODBC; maybe that is more helpful.