On 2/15/2012 22:16, Bobb Crosbie wrote:
Hi Folks,

I'm preparing an upgrade of a 5.0.51a database to 5.1.58 (Ubuntu 11.10) -
Some of the table names contain invalid characters which mysql_upgrade
(mysqlcheck) is attempting to escape by renaming the filename.  However I'm
having trouble with some tables with long names.

For instance if I had a table in "some_db" called:   "A table with a really
long name - and some invalid characters"

Internally this will be converted to "#mysql50#A table with a really long
name - and some invalid characters" but it will be truncated to 64
characters: "#mysql50#A table with a really long name - and some invalid
char"  and I will get errors such as:

     Failed to RENAME TABLE `#mysql50#A table with a really long name - and
some invalid char` TO `A table with a really long name - and some invalid
char`
         Error: Can't find file: './some_db/A table with a really long name
- and some invalid char.frm' (errno: 2)

Any ideas or suggestions ?
I'd prefer to keep with the ubuntu version of mysql if possible. Would also
like to minimize the size of the downtime window.

Would it be best to just dump/drop/re-import the tables/databases ?

Many Thanks,

- bobb

The simple solution is to rename your tables to
a) use shorter names
and b) not use any illegal characters

Are those odd characters and long names really a requirement to your design or are they there just for developer's convenience?

--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN