----- Original Message -----
> From: "Charles Brown" <cbr...@bmi.com>
>
> Anyone out there with experience in Mysql Clustering. My management
> requests that i migrate from replication to clustering.  Why? Because
> everyone is doing clustering and he would like to stay competitive.

Your management has no clue what it's talking about. Shoot it in the knee and
carry on.

Free business advice: if you believe randomly changing the technology
underlying your business is what it takes to stay competitive, hire someone who
actually knows how to run a business.

> The question is what are the pitfalls -- if any? Our replication
> objective is to address availability.

Pitfalls, like, you're working with a totally different technology that will
handle both data storage and retrieval entirely differently from what you now
have?

For one, the SQL interface to MySQL cluster is merely a compatibility layer, if
you want to really reap the benefits from it you need to switch to NDBAPI.

You now have (probably) two servers; don't even *think* of starting with
Cluster with less than three servers, and make sure they have as much memory as
possible, ideally more than the size of your dataset.

You will also face different restrictions on data types, indices and whatnot.
NDB is an entirely different engine from MyISAM and InnoDB - on some fronts
it's actually closer to NoSQL than to SQL.

Don't get me wrong, it *could* be a good choice, but don't just switch because
some dumb manager is chanting buzzwords.

First of all, have your manager formally identify the problems there are with
the current setup, under the flag of if it ain't broken, don't fix it. If it
merely comes down to "we want more redundancy", have a look at SchoonerSQL,
Clustrix or ScaleBase - those are third-party [mostly|fully]-compatible MySQL
forks with emphasis on multimaster replication.

/johan

--
Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn