In case you're not aware of it yet,  Linux (and other UNIX operating systems)
are not 'binary file compatible' with Microsoft products (including Windows
98).

You should always 'dump' your database contents (using mysqldump) before
'moving' the data to build another database (unless you're moving between
identical systems,  and you've already 'shutdown' the MySQL program)

How did you copy/move the files from the Linux system to the Windows 98
machine ?
    - If you used FTP,  did you make sure that you were in 'text' mode ?