Have you tried to set city = null   (i.e. without the quotes)?     David.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Reina [mailto:gatorre...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 4:24 PM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: query problem with null

 When I do the following query:

SELECT * FROM geo_trivia WHERE city IS NULL;

certain columns that DO have 'NULL' value for city and not a '' (blank)
value do not show up.
I have even gone to the extent of reseting these records value as ='NULL'
with UPDATE and they are still are not selected when I run the above
query.  Can anyone help?

The information contained in this e-mail and any attached
documents may be privileged, confidential and protected from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient you may not
read, copy, distribute or use this information.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately by replying to this message and then delete it
from your system.