Tried both.  1st copied the data tree (wherein there is a host.frm,
host.MYD, and host.MYI files).

When that didn't work, I did the mysql_install_db, but that had no effect.

I suspect that there is a ./configure option I missed that declares the
default data file format to use, and that they were built differently.  But
I cannot yet find that in the docs.