Wes,
Thanks for these questions about this 'ghost' of the MySQL world, it seems
more a legend than a real thing!
I am sorry I do not have the answers but I would love to hear some.

All I can say is that MySQL Proxy is currently (still) in Alpha
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-proxy/
https://launchpad.net/mysql-proxy

so it is unlikely to be used in production.

Such a shame that it was not developed further, this and other features
(like online backups) really miss in MySQL, according to me.

Cheers

Claudio

--
Claudio