hm - my servers generally have no swap or better said
only a 500 MB swap-file, they are all virtual machines
in a ESXi cluster

you really do not want a VM swapping
this leads in unusaeable performance

in my case the problem was another process eating up all memory
by user-mistake and my hint is to make sure in this case that
this process get killed and never mysqld

but i never ever had to reboot any linux guest to get it back to life