Haluk,

I could suggest a number of ways around the if/else construct, such as
creating a subclass for the various servers with a uniform interface
and hiding the differences inside the class. The actual error that you
showed is much simpler, however: you are mixing curly-brace style with
what I like to call "visual basic" style of PHP. You have an opening
curly-brace without a closing one (and an empty while-loop to boot).
You can use either-or style, but you can't mix them and leave unclosed
braces as you've done below :-)

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM, Haluk Karamete <halukkaram...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please take a look at the following code and tell me if there is a way
> around it.
>
> if ($current_server_is_mysql):
>    while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($RS)) {
> else:
>    while( $row = sqlsrv_fetch_array( $RS, SQLSRV_FETCH_ASSOC)){
> endif:
> Depending on the server I'm working with, I'd like to compile my
> records into the $RS recordset the proper/native way. If I can get
> pass this part, the rest should be all right cause both mysql and
> mssql $row can be tapped into the same way. For example,
> $row['fieldname'] will give me the field value whether the row was a
> mysql or mssql resource. So it all boils down to the above snippet
> failing.
>
> The error I get points to the else: part in the above snippet.
>
> Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ELSE in
> D:\Hosting\5291100\html\blueprint\pages\populate_migration_table.php
> on line 415
> I can understand why I am getting this error.
>
> But, I'm hoping you guys can offer a work-around it without me
> resorting to duplicate the entire while loop she-bang.
>
> --

Baron Schwartz
Win free MySQL conference tickets! http://goo.gl/mvZ4W