Hi,

I have several problems to do with tuning mysql to run on a Sun E450.
Firstly, I cannot get the mysql to read the my.cnf file. If it is
installed in the data directory, mysql boots OK but ignores it, while if
I copy it into the /etc directory I get the following error

"Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /home1/mysql/data
mysqld daemon ended"

and mysql does not start up

Also, how do you know what the current values of the variables are? Does
the command "mysqladmin variables" outputs the global variables or the
current settings of those variables and does the -O option eg mysqld -O
key_buffer=32m change the variables "on the fly" or does the mysql
process have to be restarted?

Thanks for any help. I am presently struggling to get reasonable
performance from our server.

Thanks,

David