In phpMyAdmin it says the database collation is utf8_unicode_ci and each of
the columns is utf8_unicode_ci except the ID primary key column.

If you create a simple table with ID and TITLE and put the data below (each
row in a record) and run 'select * from table order by title' what do you
get?

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS `testtab` (
  `id` int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
  `title` text COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (`id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM  DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COLLATE=utf8_unicode_ci ;

The above is a sample export of what I have for the table definition.

-wes