What is the most stable and performant way to connect to a MySQL server from a c++ application?

I've been using libmyodbc via unixODBC running under Debian squeeze. Suffice it to say, I am sorely disappointed. First of all the libmyodbc driver that's included with Debian is quite old. However, even after building and utilizing the latest version, there are still memory leaks in the driver.

I'm not stuck on using ODBC. Though it's nice to be able to is use an ODBC library so that I can connect to various DBs without having to learn new APIs. There is also the benefit of being able to change databases without much effort.

However, memory leaks are not acceptable. So I am open to suggestions. What do other c++ programmers use?

(note: I know this is probably not the place to ask this, but the libmyodbc mailing is dead as a door nail with people's auto-responders going off like a digital ghost town. :/)

Thanks,

Simon

--
simonsmicrophone.com