I'm getting that done today thru a large static trigger script and I would
like something more dynamic...
<<<<<<<<
For that it is needful to look up the table in INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS, and,
yes, you can look up the field names--but then what will you do with the
character strings that are the field names? use PREPARE and EXECUTE for the
comparisons, being ware of NULL?

In MySQL help it is written that for its own purposes MySQL actually tracks all
the information that you crave, but it nowhere is written that a BEFORE-UPDATE
trigger can make use of it. Maybe UDF, but I know naught about that.

Since BEFORE is called on every attempt, successful or not, maybe AFTER would
be better.