Not sure why it  wouldn't show primary as a possible key then...

>From your first email:

            id: 1
   select_type: SIMPLE
         table: e
          type: ALL
possible_keys: NULL
           key: NULL
       key_len: NULL
           ref: NULL
          rows: 95127
         Extra:

I'd be curious to see the explain from this:

select id, lang, term from expression where id = (insert a random, valid id
value here);

Does it use a key then? Or at least show primary as a possible key?