I'm skeptical that use-treads can every be very effective.

What order are the rows in?  They are probably in PRIMARY KEY order, which
means that the INSERTing threads will be fighting over similar spots in the
table.

Is it I/O bound when it is single-threaded?  If so, then there can't be any
improvement with use-threads.

etc.

Suggest you file a bug with bugs.mysql.com.  If nothing else, the documentation
should say more than it does.