Please can someone correct me if I am wrong.

It doesn't work with timer.

On your *master*, you need to activate the binaries log. Everytime and
UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE is done on the master mysql server, the event is
recorded within those binaries log.

On your *slave* - if it is activated to act as a slave- you should have 2
Thread running all the time. One that  reads the Master binaries log file,
aka I/O Thread (
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/slave-io-thread-states.html) . And
one to apply those changes locally, aka SQL Thread (
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/slave-sql-thread-states.html)

So from my understanding it is not time driven, but event driven.