My understanding is...

* There is a "permanent" connection (TCP/IP socket) between the Master and each
Slave.  This is opened by the Slave when the slave starts (or restarts or
recovers from a network glitch).

* Master writes to binlog _and_ to that connection whenever there is a 'write'
operation.  (I do not know whether the binlog is written/flushed before or
after or simultaneous with writing to the Slave(s).)

* If the connection is interrupted, the Slave will reconnect and ask the Master
for "old" info.  This comes from the binlog.  Otherwise, the Master's binlog
file is not part of the flow of data from Master to Slave.

* Semi-sync (5.5) adds some chatter from Slave to Master so that the Master can
wait for at least one Slave to have written to its relay log.

* Percona Cluster, Galera, etc., add more complexity to the replication traffic.